Acceptance Principles of International Students
A- Basic Principles:
The following guidelines have been approved:
- In accordance with the Article 14/f of the Law No 6287 published on Official Gazette No 28261 on 11.04.2012, the universities willing to accept students from abroad can do so with the approval of Higher Education Council.
- The quota proposal of the higher education institutions to accept students from abroad will be collected by the Higher Education Council.
- The quotas for the students from abroad are to be assigned in a way not to exceed 35 % of the quotas in the Public Universities and 50 % of the quotas in the private universities specified at SSPT (Students Selection and Placement Test) Higher Education Programs and Quotas Guidelines keeping the proposals of the universities in mind; for the programs (which will enroll students for the first time) to be opened in the year concerned, quotas for the students from abroad will be assessed if they are proposed with the SSPT quotas and there will be no quotas for the programs that accept students for the first times with SSPT Additional Placement.
- The quotas of the programs and the language of instruction along with information on Preparatory Program are to be published on the web site of Higher Education Council.
- Provisions such as education fees and health report of Higher Education programs are to be announced by the universities.
- To assign quotas for the daytime education, evening education, distance education and open education programs of associate degree and bachelor’s degree programs of the universities willing to accept foreign students, and not to assign any quota for the programs affiliated with METEB (education … at Vocational High School of Industry etc.)
- During the time of acceptance of the students from abroad, among the examinations which are recommended and approved by the Higher Education Council; not to have any limitation of time period for the examinations (such as Abitur, International Baccalaureate, GCE, Tawjihi) which are at the status of high school graduation examinations and have 2 years of validity limitations for the examinations (SAT etc.) which are at the status of university entrance examinations.
- Ministerial Cabinet is to designate minimum and maximum amount of the annual education fee to be collected from the foreign students without any exception at public universities.
- Education fee for the foreign students at Foundation universities is to be designated by the Higher Education Institutions’ commission in-charge.
- In case there is no application for the program of the university or there are vacant quotas, for the programs except Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmaceuticals programs, upon the request of the university, the quotas can be transferred to the quotas of other programs by the related councils on condition that it does not exceed the limits of quota designation specified in article 2/b, for the programs of Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmaceuticals programs the quotas can be transferred with the decision of Higher Education Executive Council.
B- The Applicants:
a) On condition that they ate at the final year of high school or at the period of graduation;
The applications of the followings are accepted,
- Foreign Nationalities,
- The citizen who are Turkish origin but denaturalized from Turkish citizenship with the approval of the Ministry of Interior Affairs and their under age children, who are registered at the document of denaturalization from Turkish Citizenship, certifying that they have a Document on Practicing Recognized Rights pursuant to Turkish Citizenship Law (According to Artcle 7 (1) of Turkish Citizenship Law No 5901, “a child who was born to a Turkish father or mother within marriage in Turkey or abroad is a Turkish citizen.” The applicants who apply for the acceptance from Turkish universities are recommended to analyze the Turkish Citizenship Law).
- Those who are foreign origin but obtain Turkish citizenship later / those who have such double citizenships,
- Those who are Turkish Citizens but complete all their post-middle education in foreign countries except NCTR (including those who complete entire middle education in Turkish schools abroad except in NCTR)
- Those who have NCTR citizenship and reside in NCTR and complete middle education and have GCE AL examination results along with those who obtained their education from college or high schools in other countries between the years 2005-2010 and have GCE AL examination results or those who are to have.
b) The applications of those with the following conditions are not accepted
- T.R. citizens who complete their entire education in Turkey or NCTR,
- NCTR citizens (except those who obtained their middle education in NCTR highs schools and have GCE AL examination results and those who obtained education from college or high schools in other countries between the years 2005-2010 and have GCE AL examination results or those who are to have),
- As pursuant to paragraph 2 of the article a, the applicants who have double citizenship with Turkish Republic citizenship at birth, (except those who complete entire middle education abroad except in NCTR / those who complete entire middle education in Turkish Schools abroad except in NCTR)
- The applicants with double citizenship one of which is NCTR citizenship (except those who obtained their middle education in NCTR highs schools and have GCE AL examination results and those who obtained education from college or high schools in other countries between the years 2005-2010 and have GCE AL examination results or those who are to have)
- T.R. citizens at the schools within the body of Embassies in Turkey and those who obtain education from foreign schools in Turkey or those whose nationality of birth is Turkish as pursuant to paragraph 2 of the article a.
C- Principles on Acceptance Conditions of the Universities:
The followings have been decided to be appropriate,
- Regularizing principles of directives or regulations approved by the university senates on accepting students from abroad through methods to be employed in accepting students such as minimum scores of nationwide examinations of countries, international examinations, middle education average grades, examination conducted by the university, and presenting it to the approval of the Higher Education Council.
- Addition of financial assurance amount to the conditions and principles of the university for the students from abroad in order to ensure their continuation of higher education in our country.
- Owing to the fact that students from abroad must obtain Student Visa in order to obtain education at every phase of higher education institutions in Turkey, universities must arrange an “acceptance letter” or any equivalent letter for the students they accept, Upon the acceptance of higher educational institutions’ related rules, for the students who apply in interim period, the analysis will be conducted by the higher education institution and the candidates who fulfill the application conditions will be arranged a “pre-acceptance letter” or any equivalent document for the next year in a number not to exceed 1/3 of the previous year quota of the university for the foreign students.
- In order to have foreign students prefer our country for higher education, to prepare introductory documents and catalogues that publicize universities in our country; to encourage universities to take part in educational fairs abroad and formation of International Students Office within the universities in order to assist applicant or registered students.
- By designating application calendar within the scope of student quotas of higher education institutions for the students from abroad, specifying it in academic calendar and informing the Directorate of Higher Education Council about the students who have been registered.
- Evaluation of Turkish language level of the students from abroad through criteria designated by the university of acceptance and within the frame required documents by the Higher Education Institution.